A Filipino favorite… basically deep fried pork belly. However, there’s a trick on how it’s done. You can’t just throw pork into boiling oil and expect the same results.
- 1 1/2bs pork liempo (pork belly)
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns or 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Water, for boiling
- Oil (for frying)
- For Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 5 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 shallot, minced or 1 small onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Chili peppers (optional)
- Cut the pork belly into serving pieces then combine with the garlic, peppercorn,laurel leaves, salt and water in a pan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 35-45 minutes or until skin is tender.
- Drain, cool and air dry.
- Deep-fry liempo pieces in batches until golden brown and blisters appear on skin.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients and serve lechon kawali while it’s hot.
© 2011 – 2012, admin. All rights reserved.