Crispy pata is one of the classic Filipino dishes. Here is my family’s version.
- 1 pata, (pork front or hind leg)
- 1 12 oz bottle 7Up
- 1 tablespoon, salt
- 1/2 tablespoon, baking soda
- 1 tablespoon, MSG (optional)
- 4 tablespoons, flour
- 2 tablespoons, fish sauce
- 2 pcs whole bay leaves
- Water (for boiling)
- Oil (for deep frying)
- Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 cup of vinegar
- 1/8 cup soy sauce
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1 head of diced onion
- 1 hot pepper (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Clean the pork pata. Removing all hair by scraping the skin with a sharp knife. Wash.
- Make four to five inch cuts on the sides of the pata.
- On a deep stock pot, place the pata in water with soda, bay leaves and salt.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the baking soda and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the pata from the pot and hang and allow to drip dry for 24 hours. You can also drain the pork pata and refrigerate for a few hours, but the prior method is preferred.
- Rub fish sauce on the pata and sprinkle flour liberally.
- In a deep pot, heat cooking oil and deep fry until golden brown.
- Combine all ingredients of the dipping sauce into a small bowl
- Serve hot with dipping sauce
© 2012, admin. All rights reserved.