Pancit Bihon is a classic Filipino noodle dish. It’s pronounced pan-seet bee-hon. Bihon is a kind of rice noodle. It cooks fast so be sure not to leave it under the boiling water for too long. In fact, making Pancit Bihon is quick and delicious. All you have to do is stir fry the vegetables, blanch the noodles, and combine the two. I made it extra healthy by adding a non traditional but super nutritious ingredient, Kale. I also made this version slightly to the sweeter side by incorporating hoisin sauce.
Here’s how to make it:
Makes 8-10 servings
- 3 tbsp Canola oil
- 3 tbsp Sesame oil
- 8 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 carrot sticks, julienned
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1/2 cabbage head, shredded
- 1 bunch Kale leaves, destemmed and shredded
- 1/2 cup snap peas, sliced
- 1 small pack or 8oz dried Shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp vegetable bullion
For the noodles:
- 8-10 cups water
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 3 tbsp vegetable bouillon
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- ground pepper to taste
- 2 small packs of Rice stick Noodles (Excellent Brand cooks the fastest)
- Soak the Shiitake mushrooms in a bowl of water and heat in the microwave for about 1-2 minutes. Let them soak for at least 20 minutes. Remove from the broth. Don’t discard broth.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan or wok over medium heat, sauté the garlic with Canola oil until fragrant.
- Add the onions, celery, and carrots. Sauté further for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, kale, snap peas, vegetable bouillon and Shiitake mushrooms. Mix and let it simmer until bouillon has dissolved.
- Turn off the heat.
- In a pot, boil water, hoisin sauce, vegetable bouillon, mushroom broth, and pepper.
- Add the noodles and leave it there for only about 3-5 minutes. Strain the noodles but save a little bit of broth to set aside and use later.
- Combine the noodles and vegetables. Add Sesame oil. Mix well to marry the flavors.
- Season with hoisin sauce, mushroom broth, and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with citrus (lemon or calamondin) on the side.
© 2012, astigvegan. All rights reserved.