Chicken Pastel or Pastel de Pollo in Spanish, is the Filipino version of the Chicken Pot Pie sans the pie, usually made out of chicken with a thick white sauce made out of cream or milk. The original version of this dish is definitely baked where in the chicken stew is encased in a pie crust or similar pastry but knowing Filipinos love their rice hence the bread was replaced.
This dish is usually made out of chicken but it can also be done with different types of meat such as pigeon, rabbit and duck along side with different vegetables such as carrots, mushrooms, olives and celery. A popular Philippine dish during special occasions which is a must try for everyone.
800g chicken thighs, deboned and diced
3 pcs large pork sausages, cooked and sliced
2 medium sized potatoes, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
2 cups farmers brown mushrooms, quartered
1 stalk celery, sliced
1/2 cup chopped bacon
4 tbsp butter
1 large white onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 evaporated milk
1/4 cup flour
3 cups chicken stock
1. In a pot fry bacon pieces in butter, once brown remove and set aside.
2. Now add garlic and onions then saute for a minute, then remove and set aside
3. Now add chicken pieces and quickly fry until brown on all sides, remove then set aside.
4. Add flour and mix well until it forms a roux.
5. Add chicken stock mix well until there are no more lumps, then add chicken, pork sausages, potato, carrots, mushrooms, fried bacon, fried garlic, fried onions and celery. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes
6. Add milk bring to a boil and simmer for additional 5 minutes.
7. Season with salt and pepper, garnish with chopped parsley
© 2012 – 2013, AngSarap. All rights reserved.