Camaron rebosado — “the Shrimp tempura of the Philippines”, is an easy seafood dish which is made out of deep fried battered shrimps served with sweet chilli or sweet and sour sauce. Though it looks like a tempura this shrimp dish is very different to the Japanese counterpart as the batter of this recipe is very heavy compared to the tempura, and besides, it is served with a different sauce. It’s more filling and flavourful that’s why it is commonly consumed with rice together with side dish rather than on its own.
1. Marinate shrimps in lemon, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2. In a bowl mix together baking powder, 1 cup flour, fish sauce, water and egg.
3. Prepare a wok, fill with oil then heat it up.
4. Place remaining flour in a plate, dip shrimps flour first then in batter, deep fry shrimps until golden. Place in a paper towel lined plate to drain excess oil.
5. Transfer to a clean plate then serve with sweet chilli sauce.
© 2012 – 2013, AngSarap. All rights reserved.