It created a subtle curiosity in me on how to buy from a street vendor. So I waved my arm and called him like one would hail a cab. And there he was..
I asked him if I could take pictures and he began to smile…
“Is this for a magazine?”, he asked
“No it’s for my blog” I said.
So he prepared the buko…
And there it was – buko (coconut)juice popped with neon green straws haha, you definitely can’t beat the freshness…
- Tinolang Manok sa Buko (Chicken soup in Coconut Juice)
- 2 lbs chicken breast, sliced in strips
- 3 slices of ginger (crushed)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves of garlic(chopped)
- 3 cups coconut juice (note: this is different from coconut milk)
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 cup coconut meat, sliced in strips
- 2 pcs. chayote, slice
- 2 pcs. carrots sliced
- Fish sauce (patis) to taste
- In a heavy skillet, saute garlic and onions in oil. Give it a quick stir. Wait until the garlic and onions starts to soften and a fragrant smell wafts across the room. Stir in the ginger. Quick stir again and add the chicken cut ups. Allow the chicken to cook for 4-5 minutes. Pour in the coconut juice. Let it simmer. Add the vegetables and allow it to cook until tender. Season with fish salt. Add coconut strips and voila you are ready to enjoy the pleasure of slurping and tasting the tender goodness of the chicken and the coconut meat.
© 2012, Malou @ Skip to Malou. All rights reserved.