One of my favorite ice cream flavors when I was growing up is Langkasuy. If you’re not from the Philippines, then probably you haven’t heard of it! Langkasuy is the shortcut for Langka (Jackfruit) and Kasuy (Cashew). It was made popular by Magnolia Dairy Ice Cream. Jackfruit is a popular tropical fruit in the Philippines which when fully ripe, has a delightfully sweet flavor. Langkasuy Ice Cream captures the full flavor of this tropical fruit with the added crunchy texture and nutty flavor of cashew nuts. I tell you, their flavors complement each other so well…and I’m pretty sure you’ll fall in love with it!
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened langka (jackfruit), drained from syrup
- 1 cup roasted cashew halves
- 2 Tbsp syrup from sweetened langka
- In a blender, whip heavy whipping cream, milk, sugar, vanilla, langka syrup and half of the langka and cashew until fluffy.
- Chill the mixture for at least one hour.
- Pour in your ice cream maker and churn. Mix for about 25-30 minutes or according to manufacturer's instructions. Add the remaining langka and cashew during the last 5 minutes of churning. Transfer ice cream in a tightly sealed container and freeze until ready to serve. Store-bought ice cream containers will work well for this. * If you don't have an ice cream maker, pour the ice cream mixture into a wide, airtight container and put in refrigerator for at least 1 hour then place in the freezer for 30 minutes. Beat ice cream mixture with an electric mixer until smooth. Put it back in the freezer for 40 minutes - then beat with an electric mixer. Repeat "40 minute freeze-then-beat cycle" 3 times. You can choose to either beat your ice cream mixture every 40 minutes until frozen or let your ice cream mixture freeze on its own. Either method works fine but the more you beat it, the softer it will be. Toss the remaining langka and cashew into the ice cream after last beating.
© 2012, Tina a.k.a. PinayInTexas. All rights reserved.
You might also like:
Tagged: Cashew, Childhood favorite, cooking tradition, Dessert, Filipino food, Filipino Recipe, Filipino Tradition, Frozen Treats, ice cream, Jackfruit, Kasuy, Langka, Langkasuy Ice Cream, Magnolia Ice Cream, Philippines, pinaycookingcorner.com, PinayInTexas Recipe