A Filipino classic. The pork barbeque varies from family to family. This is my own version with ingredients adopted from my family’s recipe and some added by myself.
- 2 lbs Pork butt
- 1 cup of soy sauce
- 1 whole garlic, crushed
- 1 onion minced
- 2 lemons or 6 calamansi
- ½ cup of 7-UP
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- 1 tsp Ground black pepper
- 1 cup of banana sauce (Jufran, Mafran or UFC ketchup)
- 5 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp MSG (optional)
- Soak bamboo skewers in water overnight.
- Cut pork into ½ thick x 1 inch wide x 1 ½ inch long pieces.
- Slide pork onto skewers. Position the fatty pieces closer to the blunt end of the stick.
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients. Mix and dissolve ingredients well.
- Pour marinade mixture onto the skewered pork.
- Marinade in the fridge at least overnight.
- Barbecue over hot coals or gas grill until well done.
- Serve with your favorite sauce.
Tip While grilling: Use the remaining marinade to baste the pork on the grill with a brush. This will retain the moisture of the pork and at the same time allow the sugar on the marinade to caramelize with the pork. However, make sure that you allow sufficient time for the marinade to cook on the pork before pulling from the grill. Remember that you had raw pork in that mixture and that also will need to cook thoroughly. Also, use different sets of utensils to handle raw pork and cooked food.
© 2012, admin. All rights reserved.