When I went to Manila for a seminar in our head office, I dropped by to SM Makati and bought basil because I wanted to eat pesto pasta. It was my first time to make pesto pasta and I just know that it has basil. Pesto traditionally consists of crushed garlic, basil, and pine nuts blended with olive oil and Parmesan cheese. I didn’t know that pesto consist all of these ingredients and I only have basil on hand. So for my pesto, I substituted pine nuts, olive oil, and Parmesan cheese with peanuts, vegetable oil, and cheddar cheese. It’s my first time to eat pesto pasta too so I don’t know how my recipe was compared with the original recipe. You can also try my other pesto pasta recipe which is Fresh Pesto Pasta With Tomatoes.
- Pesto Pasta
- 1 cup fresh basil
- vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- Cheddar cheese
- 200g Pasta
- Garlic Bread
- Any plain bread, I used pan de sal
- Onion Chives
- For the Garlic Bread:
- Slice bread into desired sizes.
- Coat bread with butter.
- Chop garlic and onion chives.
- Sprinkle the bread with chopped garlic and onion chives and place in an oven until toasted.
- For the Pesto Pasta:
- Chop fresh basil, peanuts, and garlic. If you have food processor the better.
- Add desired amounts of vegetable oil and cheddar cheese.
- Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente.
- Drain water and toss in pesto while the pasta is still hot until evenly coated.
- Serve with garlic bread and enjoy.
© 2012, Ryan Lagunzad. All rights reserved.