Favorite Sunday lunch menu! I remember my mom used to cook Nilagang Baka every Sunday when we were growing up. This recipe is one of the simplest & effortless yet flavorful dishes you can make & also one of the family’s favorite Sunday dish. Short ribs, bone marrow, or brisket, either one of them can make its broth really tasty. All you need is a variety of vegetable & a great dipping sauce such as a mixture of calamansi & fish sauce (patis) with chili pepper (siling labuyo) just enough to complement this traditional Filipino dish. Yummy!
- 1 kilo Beef, cut into cubes (short ribs, brisket or bone marrow)
- 2 large onions, peeled
- 1 beef cube (optional)
- 4 pcs. Potatoes, peeled & cut into large cubes
- 2 pcs. Onion leeks, trimmed
- 3 bunches of bok choy (pechay), trimmed
- 1 medium cabbage, cut into large pcs.
- 1 tsp. whole black peppercorn
- Pinch ground pepper
- 3 tbsp. fish sauce (patis)
- In a large pot or pressure cooker, place beef and pour in water (level is just above the meat).
- Bring to boil & let simmer for 15 mins. (remove dirt on top while simmering).
- Add onions, cover & simmer for 1 to 1 ½ hrs until beef is tender, or 30 mins. if using pressure cooker.
- Add enough water, beef cube & potatoes, then cover & simmer for 10 mins.
- Add peppercorn, ground pepper, & fish sauce.
- Place onion leeks, cabbage & pechay on top, cover & simmer for 2 mins.
- Serve hot with steamed rice! Enjoy!
© 2012, Kusina Ni Tekla. All rights reserved.