Caldereta is a popular dish in the Philippines. Caldereta or pork caldereta in general is commonly cooked and served during special events or occasions only since cooking pork Caldereta can take a lot of time, effort and patience to cook.
Below is a simple Pork Caldereta recipe that you can try out at home. Enjoy.!
Cooking Pork Caldereta
Pork Caldereta Ingredients
– pork tenderloin, cut in bite size
– soy sauce
– ground pepper
– garlic, crushed
– onions, chopped
– potatoes (optional), cut in bite size
– carrots (optional), cut in bite size
– olives (optional), cut in halves
– bell pepper, cut in strips
– chili pepper
– chicken liver, cut
– liver spread
– fish paste, to taste
– tomato sauce
– hot water
Pork Caldereta Cooking Instruction
1. Marinate the pork in soy sauce and vinegar mix for at least 30 minutes.
2. Saute’ a portion of the garlic in hot oil.
3. Fry the carrots and potatoes in the pan.
(Tip: You can also try cooking pork caldereta without the carrots and potatoes.)
4. When cooked, drain and set aside.
5. Saute’ the rest of the garlic in the same pan.
6. Fry the flavored pork.
(Tip: You can opt not to marinate the pork since we are still to season it later as we stew.)
7. When the pork is cooked on both sides, add in the chicken liver.
8. Crush the chicken liver against the pork. Mix well.
9. Add hot water.
10. Add the fried potatoes, carrots, olives and bell pepper.
(Quick tip: Add water when necessary to prevent the sauce from drying out.)
11. Allow the mixture to boil under low to medium heat. This will allow the pork to soften; and the ingredients to blend well with each other.
12. Add the liver spread. Mix well.
13. Add a bit of tomato sauce. Mix well.
14. Add the chili pepper to spice up the sauce.
15. Season with fish sauce.
16. Serve hot with rice. Enjoy!
© 2012, Ron Leyba. All rights reserved.