This is another great recipe that I have made using custard. But instead of making the custard as a frosting, just like in my previous recipe Graham Snickers and Oatmeal Cookies with Custard Frosting, I used it as a filling to the graham crackers. And instead of throwing out the egg whites, I decided to make a meringue frosting to coat this simple and easy recipe.
To make the graham crackers soft, I first dip them into coffee and water mixture. This will also give a slightly bitter taste to this recipe which will balance the sweetness of the custard and the meringue frosting. Finally, I sprinkled it with Milo powder to give it a chocolaty taste. So, here is my recipe. I hope you like it.
- 10-15 pcs Graham Crackers
- 1 tbsp Instant Coffee Powder
- 1 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 3 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2 pcs Egg Yolk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 pcs Egg Whites
- 8 tbsp White Sugar
- 3 tbsp Milo Powder
- Mix instant coffee powder and water then dip graham crackers.
- To make the custard filling, mix sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan.
- Gradually add milk and water while stirring constantly.
- Cook in low heat until thick.
- In a bowl, beat egg yolks. Add half of the milk mixture to the eggs and mix.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan. Blendwell.
- Add vanilla and cook for 10 minutes more while stirring constantly. Set aside and cool.
- To make meringue frosting, place egg whites and white sugar in a mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Place mixing bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Whisk the mixture until the sugar is dissolved.
- Once dissolve, remove the bowl from the heat and whisk continuously until stiff peaks form.
- Layer graham crackers and custard filling. Coat with meringue frosting.
- Lastly, sprinkle it with Milo powder. Chill.
- Serve and enjoy.
For more recipes please visit Houselements. Check out the original post here Graham Crackers with Custard Filling and Meringue Frosting.
© 2013, Ryan Lagunzad. All rights reserved.