Batchoy ni Tatay is not just your typical Batchoy dish. This Batchoy recipe is extremely especial to the chef since this is a specialty taught to her by Tatay Elmo (this is why she called this dish Batchoy Ni Tatay).
This Batchoy recipe uses some ingredients that you won’t find at a typical or usual batchoy dish. Without further ado, here is the Batchoy Ni Tatay ingredients along with the cooking instruction.
Batchoy Ni Tatay Ingredients:
– garlic, crushed and chopped
– onions, chopped
– tomatoes, chopped
– Chinese celery, chopped
– long green chili
– pork liver, cut into bits
– pork heart, cut into bits
– pork blood, fresh from the market
– pork loin, cut into bits
– sotanghon noodles (optional)
– ground pepper
– fish sauce
– salt, to taste
– cooking oil
– hot water
Batchoy Ni Tatay Cooking Instruction:
1. Heat up the cooking oil in a deep pan.
2. Saute’ the garlic and onions. Stir well.
3. Season the dish with some fish sauce to taste.
4. Add the tomatoes. Stir well.
5. Add the pork loin. Stir well until cooked.
6. Add the pork heart. Stir well until cooked.
7. Add the pork liver. Stir well.
8. Lower the heat and cover the pan to allow the meats to soften.
9. Add hot water.
10. Season the dish with fish sauce and pepper.
11. Allow the dish to boil under low-medium heat for 30-45 minutes.
12. When the ingredients are soft and tender, add the pork blood (half cup) and stir well.
13. Let the dish boil once more for 15-20 minutes under medium heat.
14. Add the noodles at this time. Stir well until cooked.
15. Add the Chinese celery; and let it boil for another 5 minutes.
16. Season the dish with fish sauce and pepper for the last time, depending on your taste preference.
17. Add the long green chili; turn off the heat and cover the pan.
© 2013, Ron Leyba. All rights reserved.