This tofu steak recipe is great anytime or any day – whether you’re abstaining from meat during Lent or simply trying to cook healthy but fast and delicious meals for a meatless Monday (for a fresh start of your week). This tofu steak recipe is also very versatile, you can pack it for lunch, have it as a dinner entree or just simply as a side dish. Tofu is a very good source of lean protein. If you can, use organic tofu. I am not a big fan of organic stuff but when it comes to tofu, I prefer organic because there’s definitely a huge difference in taste and texture.Now, let’s talk about the veggies for this tofu steak recipe. Any vegetable that’s good for stir-frying is great for tofu. In this tofu steak recipe, I used asparagus, carrots and shitake mushrooms. If available, use good quality, fresh mung bean sprouts which greatly complement the Asian flavors of soy, oyster and hoisin sauces that are used in this tofu steak recipe.
2 TBSP vegetable oil
1 clove garlic
1 lb tofu, sliced thinly
1/2 cup shitake mushrooms
1 1/2 cups mung bean sprouts or sliced asparagus
1/4 cups carrots, jullienned
1 stalk green onion, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 TBSP soy sauce
3 tsps Hoisin sauce
1 1/2 tsps oyster sauce
1 1/2 tsps cornstarch
1 inch ginger, peeled and bruised
1 tsp brown sugar or according to taste (optional, depends on the brand of oyster or hoisin sauce used)
1. Heat a nonstick skillet then add 1 TBSP oil (more oil may be needed if not using a nonstick pan). Fry garlic until brown, then set aside.
2. Pan fry tofu slices until both sides are brown and crisp. You may need to fry tofu in 2 batches so repeat process until, using up remaining oil to fry the rest of the tofu slices.
3. Remove tofu and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil.
4. In the same pan stir fry vegetables until cooked (but still crisp and the asparagus bright green). Remove and set aside.
5. To make the sauce, whisk together all ingredients until well incorporated. Add to the same pan where you cook the tofu. Add the garlic back in. Cook sauce over low heat, stirring constantly until sauce thickens. Add tofu then cover and allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes.
Arrange tofu slices and vegetables in a serving plate, then drizzle sauce on top. Garnish with thinly sliced green onions.
© 2013, pinoyfoodandhome. All rights reserved.
You might also like:
Tagged: Tofu Steak