Do you have left over lechon (roast pork) from last night’s party? You can make it into “paksiw na lechon”. This is basically spinning left over roast pork into a different dish using the left over liver sauce served with the lechon and adding vinegar. Most paskiw na lechon dishes usually are done with left over lechon, but by all means, you can intentionally purchase roast pork (or lechon kawali, “deep fried pork”) from your local Filipino restaurant to make this timeless dish. This dish accomplishes two things: 1) to make left over food into a different dish and 2) make the dish less prone to spoiling since it is vinegar based.
- 2 tbsp of cooking oil
- 1/2 head of garlic, crushed
- 1 to 2 onions, halved and sliced
- 2 lbs lechon
- 1/3 to 1/2 c. of vinegar
- 1/4 to 1/3 c. of soy sauce
- whole pepper corns
- 1/4 c. of brown sugar, or to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- lechon sauce (liver sauce)
- Heat the cooking oil. Saute the garlic and onions until lightly browned. Add the lechon.
- Add bay leaves, pepper, sugar and some salt.
- Pour in the liver sauce.
- Bring to a gentle boil then lower the heat, cover and simmer for an hour.
- Stir and scrape occasionally to make sure nothing sticks on the bottom of the pan.
- Taste occasionally as well and adjust the seasonings, as needed.
© 2013, admin. All rights reserved.