Sans Rival is a buttery, creamy, and nutty dessert. Each layer is topped with a generous amount of butter filling and topped with cashews. This recipe is definitely for the dessert lover and is commonly found during fiestas, birthdays and special occasions.
- 12 egg whites
- 12 egg yolks
- 2 cups (450g) caster sugar (for meringue)
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 2 cups (450g) caster sugar (for butter filling/topping)
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups (300g) chopped cashews, toasted (for butter filling/topping)
- 450g butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) dark rum
- 2 cups (300g) chopped cashews, toasted (for meringue)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line four - 8x12 inch pans with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Sprinkle with cream of tartar. Gradually add 2 cups caster sugar, while continuing to beat until stiff peaks form (meringue). Add in 2 cups chopped nuts. Divide meringue between the 4 pans, and spread evenly to the pan's edges.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes until light golden brown. Remove the meringue from the baking pans while still hot. Allow to cool. Trim edges so that all 4 meringue layers are the same size. Set aside.
- Butter cream filling: In a large bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy. In a separate large bowl, whip egg yolks until thick.
- In a saucepan, combine 2 cups sugar and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, and heat to 270 to 290 degrees F. Add the hot syrup in a thin stream to the beaten egg yolks, while beating at high speed. Beat in the whipped butter until smooth. Mix in rum.
- On one layer of meringue, spread approximately 1/4 of the butter cream evenly all the way to the edges. Repeat layers until all is used. Smooth sides with spatula. Sprinkle top with 2 cups chopped cashews. Freeze until solid. To serve, cut 2.5cm slices from the frozen dessert.
- Almonds or hazelnuts can be used in this recipe instead of cashews, and the butter cream can be flavored with any flavor of liqueur, coffee powder, or fruit jam.
© 2013, admin. All rights reserved.