Chicken & Pork Afritada
One of my favorite recipes! Its thick dark red sauce is the secret and know why?....
- 3/4 kilo chicken & 1/2 kilo pork belly (liempo), cut into pieces
- 5 pieces potatoes peeled & quartered
- 3 pieces carrots peeled & cut into 1/2 inches
- 1 large red onion chopped
- 1 head garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper cut into squares
- 3 200 grams sachet of tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 pcs. chicken cubes
- 3 tbsp. cooking oil (canola oil)
- 2 pcs. laurel leaves
- 1 tsp. black pepper corn
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 pcs. chili/ sili labuyo minced or a pinch of ground red pepper, for those who want to add a little kick! (optional)
- Sauté garlic and onions in heated canola oil in a pot then add chicken & pork, stir.
- Cover & simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, water & chicken cubes, then stir and cover.
- Bring to a boil over low-med heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken & pork is almost cooked.
- Add potatoes, carrots, pepper corn, bell pepper & laurel and continue to cook for 10 minutes or until cooked.
- Remove excess oil for a more healthier sauce. (oil extracted from chiken & pork fat)
- Add salt, freshly ground pepper, & chili (optional) to taste, slightly stir.
- Serve hot & enjoy!
Cooking tips! First, let the chicken & pork simmer over low heat to bring out their natural juices. It makes the dish tastier and tender. Another important tip, tomato sauce should be well-cooked, (thick & dark red in color) bright red means under-cooked and tastes sour.
That's the secret of my delicious Chicken & Pork Afritada! My family loves it so much & is one of their favorites. Try it & enjoy! :)
© Copyright foodipino.com
Try it & Enjoy! :)
© 2012, Kusina Ni Tekla. All rights reserved.
You might also like:
Tagged: angsarap.net, Filipino food, foodipino, pinaycookingcorner.com